Monday, September 9, 2013

    Hello everybody, It's the Science Scorpio here, and I bring with me, a blog post of epic proportions! So today, I am going to tell you about Compounds and Mixtures, a very interesting topic! First off, I know you're probably wondering "What in the name of the universe does all of this mean, anyway?" and boo boo, I got you. The first bit of information I will embed into your brain is when a compound is involved, there is a chemical change, and with a mixture, there is a physical change. So remember that, because it will help when you read the next paragraph!
     

    Compounds are made when the atoms of two or more elements bond, or connect, during a chemical reaction. These odd combinations actually end up looking nothing like the elements they came from. Imagine that! Also, the reaction that you get when compounds are made are rather difficult to undo after. Seems like a lot of work, doesn't it? An example of a compound is Ammonia, or NH3, is the result of the chemical reaction between nitrogen and hydrogen.



     Now on to mixtures! These are the result of two or more elements, or compounds, when they are mixed together without the use of chemicals.Something you also need to remember is that when each substance in a mixture is combined, they still retain their own properties. The next thing you need to know is that liquids, solids, and gases can be blended into homogenous or heterogenous mixtures. A homogenous mixture is one where you cannot see everything in the mixture, but it is still there. Like the ocean, for example. No matter how hard you look at water, you won't be able to see the salt crystals in the water. Kind of like a disappearing act in a magic show. As for a heterogenous mixture, you can see everything in said mixture. For example, have you ever had a bowl of cereal? I'll bet you have. When you mix some Cinnamon Toast Crunch with milk, you can see all of the little cereal squares, cinnamon, and milk separately. Hmm, now I want some cereal. I think I'll got get some!


      Well, I hope you enjoyed my post, and I will post again as soon as possible! Thanks for reading! :D

Little Known Fact:
  Do you like Coca Cola? I know I sure do! Well, did you know that this delicious, fizzy beverage is actually a homogenous mixture of sugar, water, different flavorings, and carbon dioxide gas?
  Mixtures can actually be divided using mechanical or physical methods.
  Almost everything you can see is one type of compound or another. How cool is that?!
 
Sources:
http://www.chem4kids.com/files/atom_compounds.html
http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-heterogeneous-mixture.html

No comments:

Post a Comment